Combine Lean-Agile principles with cutting edge software development methods
Developments in software engineering are often the driving force behind organizational change. Over the past decades, the discipline has evolved with the introduction of Lean-Agile and DevOps principles and practices. Become a SAFe Agile Software Engineer and learn new skills and approaches to help your company deliver software-centric solutions that improve speed and quality.
This three-day SAFe Agile Software Engineering course will teach you the foundational principles and practices that make up the Agile Software Engineering discipline. You will gain a thorough understanding of how continuous flow of value delivery and building quality are enabled by modern practices including XP technical practices, Behavioral-Driven Development (BDD), and Test-Driven Development (TDD).
You will also study proven practices to detail, model, design, implement, verify, and validate stories in a SAFe Continuous Delivery Pipeline. In addition, you learn the practices that build quality into code (abstraction, encapsulation, intentional programming) and designs (SOLID, Design patterns) and understand how Software Engineering fits into the larger solution context and their role in collaborating on intentional architecture and DevOps.
The SAFe Agile Software Engineering training (ASE) teaches you all about the new skills and approaches that help organizations deliver software-centric solutions faster, more predictably, and with higher quality. After taking the SAFe Agile Software Engineering exam, you’ll certify as a SAFe® Agile Software Engineer.
Our SAFe Agile Software Engineering courses are taught by one or two SPCs (SAFe Program Consultants) or even SPCTs (SAFe Program Consultant Trainers). These inspiring trainers are consultants who are active in the field and have extensive SAFe experience in training and implementing SAFe at large organizations.
During this three-day course you will learn to:
- Define Agile Software Engineering and the underlying values, principles, and practices
- Apply the Test-First principle to create alignment between tests and requirements
- Create shared understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicate with Agile modeling
- Design from context for testability
- Build applications with code and design quality
- Utilize the test infrastructure for automated testing
- Collaborate on intentional architecture and emergent design
- Apply Lean-Agile Principles to optimize the flow of value
- Create an Agile Software Engineering plan
When you pass the SAFe Agile Software Engineering exam you’ll receive a SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer certificate, with a digital badge to promote your accomplishment online. A one-year certified membership as a SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer is included, granting you access to the ASE Community of Practice.
We’ll provide you with a SAFe Agile Software Engineer certification usage guide with ASE certification marks as well as access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey.
Didn’t pass the exam? You can try again! Each new attempt comes with a fixed exam fee.
Get to know the basic principles of Scaling Agile within a few minutes!
Three-day training program
The SAFe Agile Software Engineering course is a three-day training program. Each course day starts at 8:30 and ends at 17:30, and includes a [30-minute] lunch break and [an afternoon break].
During the program, we’ll go into the following topics:
- Introduction to Agile Software Engineering
- Connecting Principles and Practices to Built-In Quality
- Accelerating Flow
- Applying Intentional Architecture
- Thinking Test-First
- Discovering Story Details
- Creating a Shared Understanding with Behavior-Driven Development (BDD)
- Communicating with Models
- Building Systems with Code Quality
- Building Systems with Design Quality
- Implementing with Quality
Everyone is welcome to attend the course, regardless of role or experience. Meeting the following prerequisites will make the training more productive:
- Understanding of SAFe for Teams;
- Background in engineering, development, managing development, or quality assurance.
After the training program, the trainer will send the participant’s details to the Scaled Academy (the accreditation organization). You’ll then receive three emails from the Scaled Academy:
- a welcome email that you can use to create your profile;
- a (mandatory) survey about the program where you can provide feedback;
- an email with a link to the exam, including instructions on how the exam works.
- Exam name: SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineer Exam
- Exam format: Multiple choice, Multiple select
- Exam delivery: Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed.
- Exam access: Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe® 4 Agile Software Engineering course.
- Exam duration: Once the exam begins, candidates have 120 minutes (2.0 hours) to complete the exam.
- Number of questions – 60. Some questions are worth more points than others. For example: A question where you select 3 out of 4 options is worth more points than a true or false question.
- Passing score – 42 out of 60 (70% pass rate)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – The first attempt is included as part of the course registration fee, if the exam is taken within 30 days of course and completed before midnight on the last day. Each retake attempt costs $50.
- Retake policy – A second attempt on the exam (first retake) can be done immediately after the first attempt. The third attempt requires a 10-day wait. A fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait. Contact email@example.com for any questions about the retake policy.
After the exam, your profile will automatically be updated when you’ve passed. The Scaled Agile Academy will inform you of this. You’ll then have access to the private online community and are able to make your profile public within the Scaled Agile community. Until that moment, only you have the privilege to see your certification.
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
Attending this course means that you may be eligible to apply for 20 PDUs toward your continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP, PgMP, and PMI-ACP certifications.
You may also be eligible to apply for SEUs under Category C, toward earning or renewing your CSP through the Scrum Alliance.
Software development is at the very center of your organization’s aim to improve speed and quality. The SAFe Agile Software Engineering course is intended for the technical members of an Agile Team: developers and testers. It can also benefit you if you’re a Product Owner, Scrum Master, Manager, or someone else with a less technical background. You would gain an understanding of the development process so that team collaboration will become more effective.
After completing this training program, you’ll be a certified SAFe Agile Software Engineer who knows all about the skills and approaches needed for the best software-centric solutions.
Course attendees typically include:
- Period 3 days
- Maximum number of participants:18
- Lunch included:Yes