The next step in the Scrum Master’s Learning Path
For a SAFe enterprise, your role as Scrum Master is of vital importance. Your work goes beyond the team level to encompass the whole organization. Now it’s time to take the next step, leading the way in facilitating company-wide success. Become a SAFe Advanced Scrum Master and help your organization to improve the performance of your teams and tackle any existing anti-patterns.
This two-day SAFe Advanced Scrum Master course prepares you, a current Scrum Master, for your leadership role in facilitating Agile team, program, and enterprise success in a Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) implementation.
The training program covers facilitation of cross-team interactions in support of program execution and relentless improvement. It enhances your knowledge of the Scrum paradigm with an introduction to scalable engineering and DevOps practices and the application of Kanban to facilitate the flow of value. You’ll also learn about supporting interactions with architects, product management, and other critical stakeholders in the larger program and enterprise contexts.
The SAFe Advanced Scrum Master training program provides you with the actionable tools you need to build high-performing teams and explores practical ways of addressing Agile and Scrum anti-patterns in the enterprise. After taking the SAFe Advanced Scrum Master exam, you’ll certify as a SAFe Advanced Scrum Master (SASM).
Our SAFe Advanced Scrum Master courses are taught by one or two SPCs (SAFe Program Consultants) or even SPCTs (SAFe Program Consultant Trainers). These inspiring trainers are consultants who are active in the field and have extensive SAFe experience in training and implementing SAFe at large organizations.
During this two-day course you will learn to:
- Apply SAFe principles to facilitation, enablement, and coaching in a multi-team environment
- Build a high-performing team and foster relentless improvement at scale
- Address Agile and Scrum anti-patterns
- Support the adoption of engineering practices, DevOps, and Agile architecture
- Learn to apply Kanban eXtreme Programming (XP) frameworks to optimize flow and improve the team’s work
- Facilitate program planning, execution, and delivery of end-to-end systems value
- Support learning through participation in Communities of Practice and innovation cycles
Exam & certification
When you pass the SAFe Advanced Scrum Master exam you’ll receive a SAFe Advanced Scrum Master certificate, with a digital badge to promote your accomplishment online. A one-year certified membership as a SAFe Advanced Scrum Master is also included, granting you access to the SASM Community of Practice.
We’ll provide you with a SAFe Advanced Scrum Master certification usage guide with SASM certification marks as well as access to a variety of learning resources to support certified professionals during their SAFe journey.
Didn’t pass the exam? You can try again. Each new attempt comes with a fixed fee.
Two-day training program
During the program, we’ll go into the following topics:
- Exploring the Scrum Master role in the SAFe enterprise
- Applying SAFe Principles: A Scrum Master’s perspective
- Exploring Agile and Scrum anti-patterns
- Facilitating program execution
- Improving flow with Kanban and XP
- Building high-performing teams
- Improving program performance with Inspect and Adapt
Everyone is welcome to attend the SAFe Advanced Scrum Master course, regardless of role or experience.
For those who intend to take the SAFe® 5 Advanced Scrum Master (SASM) certification exam, having one or more of the following certifications is highly recommended:
- SAFe® Scrum Master (SSM) certification;
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification;
- Professional Scrum Master (PSM) certification.
After the training program, the trainer will send the participant’s details to the Scaled Academy (the accreditation organization). You’ll then receive three emails from the Scaled Academy:
- a welcome email that you can use to create your profile;
- a (mandatory) survey about the program where you can provide feedback;
- an email with a link to the exam, including instructions on how the exam works.
- Exam name – SAFe® Advanced Scrum Master Exam
- Exam format – Multiple choice, Multiple select
- Exam delivery – Web-based (single-browser), closed book, no outside assistance, timed.
- Exam access – Candidates can access the exam within the SAFe Community Platform upon completion of the SAFe Advanced Scrum Master course.
- Exam duration – Once the exam begins candidates have 120 minutes (2 hours) to complete the exam.
- Number of questions – 60. Some questions are worth more points than others. For example: A question where you select 3 out of 4 options is worth more points than a true or false question.
- Passing score – 42 out of 60 (70% pass rate)
- Language – English
- Exam cost – The first attempt is included as part of the course registration fee, if the exam is taken within 30 days of course and completed before midnight on the last day. Each retake attempt comes with a fixed fee.
- Retake policy – A second attempt on the exam (first retake) can be done immediately after the first attempt. The third attempt requires a 10-day wait. A fourth attempt requires a 30-day wait.
After the exam, your profile wille automatically be updated when you’ve passed. The Scaled Agile Academy will inform you of this. You’ll then have access to the private online community and are able to make your profile public within the Scaled Agile community. Until that moment, only you have the privilege to see your certification.
Professional Development Units (PDUs) and Scrum Education Units (SEUs)
Attending this course means that you may be eligible to apply for 15 Continuing Education – Strategic PDUs toward your continuing education requirements with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for PMP and PMI-ACP certifications.
You may also be eligible to apply for SEUs under category C, toward earning or renewing your CSP through Scrum Alliance.
Your company has embraced the benefits of Scrum teams for some time now and has become a SAFe enterprise. With the SAFe Advanced Scrum Master course, practicing Scrum Masters can extend their knowledge of Scrum to include actionable tools for building high-performing tools and practical ways of addressing Agile and Scrum anti-patterns in their organization.
After completing this training program, you’ll be a certified Advanced Scrum Master able to lead your organization to the next level of Scrum.
Course attendees typically include:
- Existing Scrum Masters
- Team leaders, project managers, and others who have assumed the role of an Agile team facilitator in a SAFe® or enterprise Agile context
- Engineering and development managers who will be responsible for Agile execution and for coaching teams and teams of teams
- Agile coaches
- Agile program managers and prospective Release Train Engineers
- Period 2 days
- Maximum number of participants:18
- Lunch included:No
- Payment methods:Invoice, iDEAL, CreditCard
- Scott Thomas Kerr - Rating: 9/10
Trainer was very helpful and knowledgeable.
- Mark Adler - Rating: 10/10
Trainer (Hans) was excellent. He adapted the course to fit our backgrounds and experience and did a good job of keeping the class interested and engaged.
- Eline Haarmans - Rating: 8/10
Niet heel veel nieuwe stof, wel heel leuk om ook van andere bedrijven te horen hoe het daar gaat, en trainer bracht de stof erg goed over.
- Stephan Rietveld - Rating: 9/10
Lots of refreshments and deep dive
- Tine Verhoeven - Rating: 7/10
As an SPC, the content of the course did not bring me much news. What it díd bring me was a good rehursel of my SAFe knowledge and a lot of practical tips from a very professional en pleasent trainer, Ali Hajou. What I also liked was the experience of my fellow colleges during the course; their point of views related to their organisations, ánd the fact that the course was given in Dutch.
- Desmond Edwards - Rating: 9/10
Liked - the exercises and the video. The Trainer, Silvio, was very good. He explained the material well, especially as English is not his native language. Improve - The course material arrived late
- Steve Brzezinski - Rating: 9/10
Good comprehensive overview of SAFe. Improvement areas: Printed material -- A lot of the diagrams had very small font making it difficult to read in the handout book. Slide in book .. SAFe Implementation Roadmap. Would have likes to spend a little more time at the beginning of the course understanding the roadmap and our responsibilities and reviewing each day
- Henny van Gerwen - Rating: 8/10
Liked flexibility of trainer, based on experience we could select those topics that needed attention.
- Onno Koers - Rating: 7/10
Decent course. I think its nice for Scrum Masters to exchange experiences.
- Wim Van de Goor - Rating: 8/10
The course content was explicitly targeted for the certification exams. There was little time to go into advanced scrum master topics, such as reflections on experiences and problems in current projects.
- Rudi Blok - Rating: 8/10
From a content point of view a lot of overlap with the standard SAFe Scrum Master course. Expected a bit more advances topic w.r.t. soft skills.
- Daniel Boldocky - Rating: 6/10
Trainer was really good in presenting content. Problem is that program that he has to follow is very strict and there were not enough real life examples.
- Sara Sequeira - Rating: 10/10
Good opportunity to share different experiences, trainers are very knowledgeable, nice training.